|“||This is the Merlin Circle. It focuses your energy. Helps you master new spells. It is where you will learn the Art. Step inside, you will leave everything else behind. Once you enter, there is no going back.||„|
|~ Balthazar Blake about the Merlin Circle.|
The Merlin Circle is a mystical circular symbol that is the source of the Merlineans' preternatural powers and even named after the legendary wizard Merlin. It is primarily featured in the 2010 Disney fantasy movie The Sorcerer's Apprentice. There are 3 known good Merlinean spellcasters who used and practiced this magic Balthazar Blake and his cherished love interest Veronica Gorloisen, and Dave Stutler (also known as the Prime Merlinean).
The Merlin Circle is the source of a conjurer's powers, making it a perfect, sorcerous tool for mastering various spells. Being the primary source of one's magic, the Circle provides a sorcerer/sorceress near-limitless amount of Mana to help him/her further honing her skills in magic.
Constructing a Merlin Circle requires a significant amount of power and typically crafted on a solid ground. After channeling enough Mana from his/her surroundings, the sorcerer/sorceress focused the accumulated energy on the ground before releasing it as a circular, phosphorus green firewall around him/her. Afterwards, he/she completed the Circle by carving its alchemical symbols with focused heat converted from the excess energy.
Because of the considerable amount of Mana that drawn for the Circle's construction, any nearby electronics would be briefly malfunctions during its process.
In order for a sorcerer/sorceress-in-training to harness the magic within the Merlin Circle, he/she needs to wear a pair of pointy shoes and simply stand on one of the Circle's available domains. The former requirement is essential, as the design of aforementioned shoes enables Mana from the Circle to easily flow through his/her feet like wires/cables that connecting an electrical device with its power source. Using shoes with rubber lining will never work, as as they cannot conduct static.
There are 7 domains within the Merlin Circle:
- Space-Time: Space-Time Domain is used to master spells for performing time manipulation, astral projection, and possibly more complex abilities such as teleportation and travel between dimensions. This Domain's Mana is green in color.
- Motion: Motion Domain is used to master movement-related spells such as telekinesis, levitation of oneself or others, and enhancing conjured air blasts. This Domain's Mana is blue in color.
- Matter: Matter Domain is used to master magical abilities over matter, which allow the sorcerer to manipulate energy such as electricity and plasma as well as forging objects from air molecules. This Domain's Mana is red in color.
- Elements: Element Domain is used to master over four classical elements of nature (water, earth, fire, and air) for various purposes. This Domain's Mana is yellow in color.
- Transformation: Transformation Domain is used for mastering spells to alter both properties and appearance of oneself and/or desired target. Like in Matter Domain, spells that mastered in this domain worked by manipulating the desired target's matter structure, but in more complex scale as spells mastered in this Domain are meant for transmogrifying oneself and/or other instead of energy manipulation. Said spells includes enchanting objects by giving them desired properties, from simply reinforcing its durability to bewitching it into a booby trap such as the Hungarian Mirror Trap. This Domain's Mana is orange in color.
- Mind: Mind Domain is used to master mental abilities-related spells (such as telepathy, hypnosis, second sight, etc.) except telekinesis and levitation. This Domain's Mana is pink in color.
- Love/Forbidden Domain: Love Domain is arguably the only domain which represents two powers; emotion (love) and power over life and death. Love is stated to be the most powerful source of a spellcaster's magic as said emotion not only awakens his/her latent power within, but also making a sorcerer/sorceress unstoppable. It can be tapped not only through successfully winning the heart of the conjuror's own love interest, but also strong desire to reunite others with their loved ones. Failing in either will sap him/her of his/her strengths, weakening her. The second power of this domain on the other hand, endows the wizard/witch the ability to revive the dead along with other necromatic abilities.
Each domain has a source for its own spells.
Its opposite is the Morgana Star.
- In the 2010 Nintendo DS videogame adaptation of Disney's The Sorcerer's Apprentice, the Domains the Merlin Circle composed of slightly different and also alluded the Morgana Star as it lacked center Domain that made it only composed of 6 Domains as opposed of 7. In fact, the Merlin Circle in the game had Space-Time, Matter, Mind, Elements, Transformation, Forbidden, and Love Domain (Love and Forbidden Domains are actually one in the same in the film version).